Terms and Conditions for Idea Challenge 2017
About the Idea Challenge 2017
- The idea challenge 2017 is tagged Make A Difference. It is an avenue for 9 finalists to turn their ideas into physical products. Idea challenge 2017 is open to anyone who is at least 18 years of age. Employees, officers, its subsidiaries, affiliates, franchisees, advertising and promotion agencies, and anyone involved in the production or administration of the idea challenge. The contest is void where prohibited.
- To enter the competition, the entrant must meet the following criteria (submission requirements) and confirm acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- Team entries are also allowed, but only one member of the team will be invited to the weeklong development workshop in Hamburg.
- Project/product/concept title
- Entrant’s name
- Entrant’s description (e.g., designer/agency/engineer/student/other)
- University or company name (if applicable)
- Email address
- City and country where entrant is based
- All submissions must include a full description of the project/product/concept in a document written in plain English and up to a maximum of 500 words. Each document should be split into three separate sections:
- An outline of the problem that your idea addresses; this could be an issue specific to your city or country, or this could be a global issue
- An explanation of your idea, how it will work; provide clear details about how your idea will help to solve the problem you’ve outlined in (1.)
- An explanation of how the solution provides social and/or environmental value
- How could your idea be manufactured in the OpenLab (FabLab)?
- All submissions must also include an upload either a sketch, 3D model or video of the project/product/concept in an animation or presentation in plain English and up to a maximum of 10MB in size or 2 minutes in length. The upload must also include a snapshot and summary of the idea design.
- The submission must not have been previously published, released, distributed in any form, or won any previous award, and does not infringe any trade secrets.
- In case an organization indicates the infringement of any trade secrets, the submission will be immediately withdrawn.
- The entry materials (document and video) must be submitted online via https://make-a-difference.info
- Entry begins at 8:00 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) on 27/03/2017, and ends at 24:00 GMT on 30/06/2017
IP and other Rights
- The applicants acknowledges that ideas submitted in the idea challenge are based on the creative commons (CC BY-SA 4.0). Please visit the licence section to get more information.
- All submissions must be created by the entrant personally, and must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights of any person or entity.
- Helmut Schmidt University (HSU), Arab German Young Academy (AGYA) and other associates are not liable for any infringements caused by the applicant.
- If any person/entity other than the entrant is depicted or described in the document or video, the entrant is responsible for obtaining any necessary permission for use of their names/likenesses.
- Following the culmination of the idea challenge, HSU, AGYA, and other associates reserve the right to use text, images, and video content for research analysis purposes without copyright or royalty restrictions.
- All entries may be edited after the first submission, no further changes will be accepted after the closing date.
- HSU and AGYA reserves the right not to accept an entry if it does not strictly comply with the terms and conditions.
- HSU and AGYA has every right to withdraw any submission at any time and for any reason.
- A panel of appointed experts will judge the entries on their impact level (i.e. the potential to solve the problem outlined), creativity, manufacturability, affordability, and accessibility.
- Community voting will be used for the preliminary selection of top 50 ideas, out of which the 9 finalists will be drawn.
- Every participant is required to participate in the preliminary voting process after the call for submission ends. Otherwise submissions will be removed.
- The community voting scheme will also be used to select three (3) finalists from the preselected entries, based on an online voting link on the idea challenge’s website https://make-a-difference.info
- The juries will select a maximum of six (6) finalists from the preselected entries; the panel’s decision is final.
- All the nine shortlisted finalists will be notified by email or telephone using the information supplied at time of entry on the competition website: https://make-a-difference.info. Applicants must ensure that the right contact information are given.
- Each finalist must notify the Idea Challenge’s team of their intent to participate in the development workshop at OpenLab Hamburg within 7 days of notification.
- Return flights (economy class) and accommodation will be provided by HSU and AGYA for all the nine finalists to attend the development workshop for the idea challenge on 06/11/2017 - 10/11/2017.
- In the event any provision or part of this agreement is found to be invalid, or unenforceable, only that particular provision or part so found, and not the entire agreement, will be inoperative.
- German law applies. The application of mandatory law, including but not limited to territorial unfair trade law, remains unaffected. Place of jurisdiction shall be Hamburg.